Friday, March 16, 2007

Entry of your choice

My views on Fahrenheit 451
According to me Fahrenheit 451 does not fall under the category of books that I would recommend and that I would like to posses throughout my life. My feelings towards this book might be negative due to the fact that I have read 1984 which has a far more impact on me. Conversely I have to admit that Fahrenheit 451 posses some extraordinary conceptions about the importance of books. I believe that Bradbury was trying to put the readers in Montag's shoes and this is the reason for the book to end abruptly without much evidence or thoughts about the future. There might be readers who exceptionally adore this but personally I don't. I do not have an intention of saying that Bradbury is a horrible writer because he is not, but this sort of confusion in the novel is not something that I love. Also there was no mention of the government in Fahrenheit 451. Due to the book's weak structure (by saying weak structure I mean the sequence of events that took place for example: There is no clear mention as to what happened to Clarisse was after the first part of the novel) it was very hard for me to keep track of the events that followed and the use of the word "damn" over and over does not really make a book stand out in my opinion. The book delivers confused messages to readers as well which gets really frustrating because not only does the reader have trouble to understand the point that the author is trying to convey but it also affects the level of interest that the reader has in the process of reading the book. I would say that it is possible for people to actually love this book but I believe that this book does not have enough depth especially the last part and the ending does not really make a great amount of sense for a start. "When we reach the city”?? ? I mean could there be a better way to end!!! . The journey of Montag from his land reminds me of the ending of the novel "The Giver". In The Giver, similarly the main character Jonas also like Montag "runs" away from the dystopian world, but the ending of the novel is much more interesting than Fahrenheit 451. Most of the themes are clear and the novel ends with a punch. "1984" another extraordinary novel stands out due to its immense depth and a marvelous ending. But Fahrenheit 451? Yes, it does have strong values such as the importance of books and the fierceness of fire. But will a monotonous ending capture hearts of readers? Will it cast a shadow? Will it get them thinking? In my opinion NO, IT WON'T.

No comments: