
Are there any settings in this novel which you have found to be beautiful? Or disturbing? Or memorable? Describe these settings and comment on why they were meaningful to you.
There are a number of events that are memorable in this novel. Everyone in Oceania was expected to love only one person BIG BROTHER. Winston however chose not to. He chose not to shut-up and listen to the Party. He chose not to be a robot like the others. He chose to be a human. He chose to love.Winston's choices leaves a great impact on me because he chose to do the right thing.
The outburst of human characteristics is also very interesting to observe in this novel. The ending especially, it has a bit of ambiguity i would say.The last words of this novel were:"He had won victory over himself. He loved Big Brother." I trust that he did not love Big Brother. He would never have. He said that he won victory over himself which shows that he had "taught" himself to do so, inside it was not love that he had for Big brother, it was hatred. Also the novel reveals that the-long-hoped-for bullet was entering his brain. This is evidence to the fact that he would be shot very soon. He was dreaming about his future and tears filled his eyes. I feel that this part( the ending) is very emotional. It is like " forcing" a man to love (Big Brother), using him as a puppet. I loved the part when he writes in his diary: "Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make a four. If that is granted, all else follows".
One thing that is a bit distracting about this book is that too much information is given about the Party some of which is irrelevant to the theme, which makes the first part of the book fairly boring. Another fact that I am very annoyed with is the fact that Winston describing other women (besides his lover Julia) in a perverted sort of manner; which got really unpleasant after a while.
1 comment:
Great! Wow! I never thought of the last words in the novel that way! I simply thought the passage was saying that Winston finally became settled down, but you gave a completely different comprehension. Nice opinion.
Post a Comment