
Are there are any current situations in the world that relate to the novel? What are they, and how do they relate? Does the novel shed any light on how current situations could be resolved or "fixed"?
Today, the world has faced abundant issues that were faced in this novel. A number of countries in the world today are communist which shares the same idea of this novel. North Korea for example. There is one ruler who rules( Kim Jong-il). Every word he says is law which exactly matches with the concept of Big Brother. The difference is however is that the North Koreans ( the citizens) know that the government is cruel unlike the people of Oceania who are literally "brainwashed".
Being watched has become a very common thing today. I am a dorm student and I am being watched by the R.A.'s or Dorm parents in the hallways. They will always know where I am in the Dorm. There is no escape, no chance that I can sneak out.
Back in the days, after this novel had been written, some of Orwell's predictions came true.
Joseph Stalin claimed himself a dictator which again relates back to Big Brother. Both these people had all the power. The three things that both Stalin and Big Brother "used" to rule were pain, fear and hatred.
1984 does not really cast a lot of light exactly on how to "fix" its actually quite the opposite. This novel show more of the ramifications of the things that would happen to the world if these problems remain "UN-fixed", which again runs as a warning for the future. Although sometimes it has occurred to me that Winston standing up against the Party reveals the fact that at least one man is doing the right thing. But what was the result? he was crushed. I trust that the only way to intolerant dictatorship is to unite. If every citizen of Oceania did not follow Big Brother's orders Big Brother would not have anyone to give orders to. After all "unity is strength".
1 comment:
I agree with you on the fact that our world faces many issues that were faced in this novel and Kim Jong-il is a great example. However, I don't fully agree with what you said about his law being the exact concept of Big Brother. Also, I think that it was great how you related to your life about being a dorm student and as for me also being a dorm student, I agree with what you said about how you are watched by you R.A.s and Dorm parents. But I think how you described it was a little big of an exaggeration. We aren't always watched,and we do have freedom. You sort of make it sound like we are captured and can't do anything such as go outside, or keep anything private to ourselves. And even on a bigger scale, you have a choice of living in the dorm or being a day student. You could leave if you want to and get away from it, but as for the novel 1984, it was just all around you. You didn't have a choice whatsoever unless you wanted to die at an early age. This was something you really couldn't escape or get away from.
Post a Comment