Friday, March 16, 2007


What is the climax of this novel? What happens? How do the events of this novel make you feel?
The climax of this novel starts to build up from the point when Mildred tells Captain Beatty that Montag possessed books. I felt that this part was betrayal at its height. (I believe that this part is similar to the part in 1984 where O'Brian turns out to be a member of the Party and turns Winston in) .

The climax reaches its height at the room when Montag's rage results in the death of Captain Beatty. I believe that this was the strongest point in the novel, the turning point. I don't blame Montag for killing Captain Beatty. It was clear that Montag had no intention of killing Beatty. It just happened. It was not predestined or predicted.
The events that follow this point are fairly impulsive. The journey of Montag is really impressive and exciting due to the fact that every moment of his journey he is on the verge of death. I felt that it was due to sheer luck that Montag escaped alive...
I trust that the climax was the most shocking part of the novel. It was intimidating to observe that in the end it was fire that was used to kill. I felt that the part in the book that really got me thinking was the part that: should Montag be forgiven for the crime that he committed depending on the circumstances?
Well according to me there are two sides to it. Montag could have not killed Beatty and “shut up” and listen to every useless word that he said. Or he had to kill Beatty and escape. Montag of course chose the second option which I think is one of the features that make Montag stand out. He knew he was right even if everyone else did not think so. His choices reflect his character and have an impact on the story line of the book through its twists and turns.

1 comment:

Andrew Lee said...

I agree with you. There can be lots of climax. I wrote a differnet one, but yours is right also. When Beatty found out that Montag possessed book, I was really sad. That means that Montag's house and all the books would be burned. It was really thrilling. I agree with you, Pritha.